Project season is about to begin! We are right at the beginning. Chris patched the hole and hung new sheet rock around the door and ceiling and has been sanding the last few days... We picked a roofer, and are picking the color... We're getting our gas stove installed as soon as our guy can come... then once the roofing and stove is done, we'll get our a/c. Then its carpet. Its all the anticipation right now and its killing me! I'm excited. Its going to be crazy for a few weeks, but then it'll be great and I won't have to worry about it anymore. Chris disconnected the swamp cooler wiring last night and put a blank cover over the box. Strangely satisfying... ;)
Its funny that all of this SPENDING is about to start, and I've been talking to my co-worker about this book... Dave Ramsey and the Total Money Makeover. It requires budgeting and sacrifices, but you can really do some amazing things. More or less the complete opposite of what we're doing right now. In this book, you do it all in steps. (1) Get $1000 of emergency funds, (2) pay off your debt, (3) get your 6 months of savings, (4) 15% towards retirement, (5) college savings, and (6) you pay off your house - in that order. His motto is "Live like no one else so that later you can live like no one else" saying that if you sacrifice and scrimp and save - then later you can literally be wealthy and live like you never dreamed debt free. Its interesting to think about if nothing else.
I would like to try it and see how far we get. We are doing all of those things in smaller increments, but his point is to focus all your attention on one thing and then the next... Thats when you see results. Anyway, we'll have to see. We won't be that bad off when these are all done. I hope. But it would be nice to have a plan of where we're headed once they're done. Should be fun!!!
Sunday, March 30, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
I agree with what you are saying. I am hoping that we can keep some money in savings and start to pay off our debt. If we could stay out of the doctor's office, we could probably do it! The things that you are going into debt for aren't frivolous. They are adding value to your home, so that when/if you decide to sell it, you can make some money on it. It's not like you're going into debt shopping for clothes and shoes.
I'll have to check out that book. Sounds like a good plan!
Post a Comment