Monday, March 17, 2008

Formula

Just a random question - how do people afford formula? I mean if you're not on WIC or something, its EXPENSIVE!!!! Nathan has been slowly weaning and it is absolutely breaking my heart. I cry if I think about it too much. We're still going for a few feedings... but I follow it up with a couple ounces of formula. So I nurse in the morning, he gets 8oz at daycare, I nurse at 3pm when we get home and he'll eat another 2-4oz, 6oz at dinnertime and I nurse before bed following it up with another 2-4oz. So in any given day he eats 18-22oz of formula... not even close to what full formula kids are fed and I'm looking at AT LEAST $60 extra per month. OUCH! I realize he might start to decline a bit once he starts solids, but still. I feel for all you people who use formula. I guess I"m just realizing the reason that nurse. Its cheap. Very very cheap. LOL!
The good news is that he seems to be doing well with it. In *my* eyes, he is getting huge and I'm actually looking forward to his appt in 2 weeks. They tell me that kids his age should eat about 6oz per bottle, and he would drink twice that if I let him. The good news is that he is definitely getting enough - and thats the important part. I actually had to start changing his diapers in the middle of the night, because he can't make it all night. He'll leak through a diaper. crazy. Anyway, I hear the little guy now - so I'm off to feed him... More of the expensive stuff.... heehee...

3 comments:

Meredith said...

CRAZY! I'm sorry he's weaning himself, but at least he's growing and is healthy! My pediatrician in Florida told us that once the babies started eating solids, we could switch to a generic formula like the Costco or Target one. So, that could be a big help. It's about half the price. Read the ingredients and %s on the back of the cans. They are exactly the same, in the same order and the same %s. Ask your pediatrician if you are worried. My thoughts are that if they were dangerous and kids weren't getting nutrients they wouldn't be able to sell them.

chrissy said...

My step sister with twins told me she spends 55 bucks a WEEK on formula! Can you imagine?

I agree with Mere, I'm all about the generic formula. I like the costco brand.

I'm glad that he's getting chunkier!

Hubba's Thoughts said...

Hey, my brother has twins too!! SO MUCH $$$!! What formula does he use?? Go to the website of the formula he uses and you can sign up to get coupons in the mail, like $5 off coupons.. I used Enfamil with Madi, but eventually went to Costco brand too. I was paranoid about generic brands, but she survived and is still kickin' at four years old. Good luck with that. Jackson eats a lot of solids so hopefully I won't dry up.. Have a great day.