I just got an email on food storage from my ward as far as when our dry pack cannery times are. I guess the church has a new form and it has the dates as far as how long each item lasts. All the staples (ie sugar, beans, rice, wheat, oats, noodles, etc) are 30 year lifespans. 30 years!!! Here is the link... Dry Pack Cannery
I keep hearing around everywhere that we're going to need this food storage within my lifetime which in reality is probably no more than 60 years. That means that all I will have to do is over the rest of my lifetime buy this stuff 2 times. That is an absolute CRAZY thought. I thought it was also interesting that at the bottom it says "for longer term storage, avoid teaching eat what you store and store what you eat". I understand that what I store is not long term storage... I realize that all the time when I find something expired in my pantry but it got me thinking I really need to start storing both. The long term and the short term. I know that no one really cares what I am doing on food storage, but it helps me to write it out. So if you read this, I apologize. Its really just me thinking out loud.
Anyway, I think this year I need to keep my 3 month supply going and continually rotating like I have been in canned food and do some more research and purchasing on the long term stuff. Learn how to use it, cook with it, and make meals that our family might actually eat. I also need to learn about sprouting. I can do all that in a year...
If anyone is curious why I am so intent on food storage, my favorite article on it is FOOD STORAGE I get chills everytime I read it which is about twice a year now. I just love it. Well, to be honest, it scares me to death reading it but that is what I need to kickstart myself.
Monday, January 7, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
woohoo! i completely understand. i NEED to get some of the staples stored. maybe i should just start buying a bucket a month or something. AND i need to get a good wheat grinder. i think i am tired of buying pre-ground flour. it tastes old too quickly. wouldn't freshly ground flour just taste so much better??
eek! I'm afraid to even click on that link to the article, because I get A)freaked out and B)completely overwhelmed. I know I should start storing, though...Thanks for making me feel guilty! Ha ha
Post a Comment