Friday, August 29, 2008

2 weeks down... years to go


Well we're nearing the end of my first 2 weeks as a stay at home mom and I'm going to have to say, I've never been so busy in my life!! Everyone told me I would be surprised I ever had time to work and would wonder how I did it. I actually do! How did I have time to do everything?? Well, I know the answer to that - I didn't. I missed so many activities and fun playdates for Eli, my house was filthy and I didn't spend as much "quality" time with my kids.

So lets recap. I've watched neighbor kids several times (for varying amounts of time), we've gone swimming 4 times, been to the grocery store - 5? times, I've swept my kitchen floor at least 10 times, been to one birthday party and been to the playground with friends once. Twice if you include when we were watching Elis friends. I find that I clean the kitchen at least twice a day. Well... let me be more specific. I don't deep clean it twice, but say for example in the morning I'll do the dishes, sanitize the counters and table and high chair then in the afternoon I'll do the dishes again, sweep and quickly wipe down the counters. Unfortunately I'm still leaving the dinner dishes in the sink until the next morning. I have a tendency to shut down once Chris comes home. Its like my day is 'over' and thats when I get my break. I turn on the tv for the first time at about 4:00.

Whatever happened to the bon-bon eating, lemonade sipping, relax with a good magazine image I had of all you moms? LOL! Of course I'm kidding but I do have many days where I look at the clock and think how on earth is it 3:00 already?? I was going to get so much more done today and yet I feel like I haven't stopped moving.

The most interesting thing to me in all of this was the thought I had today while vacuuming the bedrooms. I haven't thought about work once! (well until that thought came) The meetings I had to be at on Wednesdays or the staff meetings that never seemed to happen, the office talk of politics, religion and other such hush-hush topics, the projects I had been working on so tirelessly... its like they're gone. I still think I should be setting my alarm at night and I kind of miss my friends, but thats about as far as it gets.

Anyway, I guess my point is that I am loving this so far. It is exactly what I had hoped for. I am seeing how important my time is with my kids. How short and fleeting it all is and how (for this short moment) they are so dependent on me and I on them. My favorite time of day is when Nathan wakes up from a nap and his eyes just light up when Eli or I enter the room. He is so much fun at this young age. I just love it. And my sweet little Eli. I have a parent orientation on Tuesday for his preschool. He looks so grown up to me, I hardly recognize him sometimes. Its like I still think of him as a 2 yr old. Oh well. I guess thats why we have pictures. You get to remember how small they were. I just uploaded over 100 pictures to walgreens so I can have actual printed copies. That might be part of my little reminiscent tangent there. I apologize. Well I guess I'm back to work. Nathan is about ready for a nap which means the real work begins.

Bon-Bon anyone?

6 comments:

Hubba's Thoughts said...

It sounds like you have adjusted just fine. I must say, it will feel a little empty when I finally get back in the office again. I can't wait for that day to come. We all need to meet sometime for dinner or something. That would be fun. Keep in touch. You have to expect me to keep lurking.
It's the only contact we have anymore.

Gary

Jones Family said...

You are right...I never knew how busy I'd be- and I was a preschool teacher to 20 four-year olds! I'm so glad to hear that you are happy and having a good time being with the boys. Maybe we should get together and eat bon-bons. Chocolate is always better with a friend, right? :) Bryttin

Carrie said...

you are doing amazing and have discovered what being a SAHM is really about. Balancing unfinished or never ending projects with time with you kids and letting it be okay. The years are short when they are young and you are the most important person in their lives. Enjoy! and keep blogging I love it!!!

Adam and Tiffany said...

Oh i am so glad you are loving it. It really is wondeful. I know, it is weird how time flies by and then your like - shoot - I was supposed to do way more. Oh well, such is life.

chrissy said...

Yay! I'm glad you're enjoying yourself at home! It's definitely work, though. No time for being lazy, that's for sure. It sounds like you're doing a good job, and keeping things balanced!

I'm glad you were able to print pictures off. I was so excited to see that special, until I realized that all of my pictures are on my PC that completely blew up!!! My brother has my computer and I still haven't heard if he was able to save any of the documents or pictures yet. Oh well, I guess. Life goes on!

The Life of MattnWin said...

I owe you so big for watching my boys, you, Chalyce, and Carrie are all so helpful and wonderful to my boys. I love that you love it! I miss it! Stupid school!