Friday, February 22, 2008

Time Apart

Can I just say how grateful I am that Nathan takes a bottle? (and to have a husband that will watch him when I go out) Last night I went out with my friends and decided to leave Nathan home. Mostly because his bedtime is between 7:30 and 8pm and I was going to be out later than that. I was sitting there talking to my friends, we got our food and I just got this feeling of relief that I didn't have a screaming, unhappy, tired child in my arms. It was also nice just to eat in peace and not have someone I need to entertain. you know?
I hope this isn't coming out wrong. I love my boys. I love being a mom and taking care of them and spending time with them and all the other things that come with being a parent. I love nursing my baby boy and watching him grow and develop and having that special bond. But at the same time, getting a break is just as important. I guess technically I get a break since I come to work every day, but I enjoy the other stuff as well. ;)
In the same breath that I say this, I start to wonder if I'm doing it too much. Eli has been having a bit of separation anxiety or something. He has been freaking out, top of his lungs - crying! To the point that you have to pick him up and he is screaming and stretching his arms across you trying to reach the door. He did it when Chris went home teaching last Sunday, he did at daycare yesterday... I don't know whats wrong with him. He has never EVER been like this. Even when he was at the separation anxiety age (is it 9 months or so?) it was only mild and he got over it quickly. I don't know. I guess it'll be something to watch.
For now, I'll just enjoy my time with them and away from them. Because it makes me a better mom.

3 comments:

chrissy said...

Nooooo, that didn't come out wrong at all. If I didn't get me some "Grown-up Time" I would be a HORRIBLE mommy!

Sorry about Eli's recent tantrums :(

Meredith said...

hannah has been freaking out every time i leave the house without her. and she cries when she wakes up in the morning if thomas isn't home. i thought it was just hannah being dramatic. maybe it's a phase.

and i could definitely use some grown-up time! i think it's great that you get out every once in a while.

Amber said...

I completely understand. sometimes we need to feel like a real person and not a mom. Being a mom gets exhausting sometimes.