Ok, I'm sure this won't be my last post about quitting work... but this is my blog, and you chose to come read. :) I only have 2 days left. 10 hours to be exact, and I don't even know what to do with myself. I have plenty of work left to fill those 10 hours, and plenty of cleaning up and filing but here I blog. My head has been such a jumbled mess the last few days I don't really know where to start.
My work had a little going away party for me. They got me all kinds of little gifts (mostly because no one communicated on who was going to do the gift purchasing... so I made out like a bandit!) My one boss bought me "The Mothers Almanac" while another boss bought me a toy cell phone because I never seemed to answer the phone whenever he called. Then the office girl (who usually does the gifts) got me a gift certificate to a local spa. This place is like family. I feel like I've known them forever. I'm going to miss talking with their wives at the office parties and going to miss yelling at certain co-workers for turning on 'He who shall not be named' who 3 hours a day is all he asks... I'm going to miss the office drama and one kid who will be going to 'summer camp' and another who is the spitting image of Giselle from the movie Enchanted. I work with the best people in the world, but I'm not going to be a 'productive member of society' anymore. I'm going to lose 1/2 of myself in one day. I don't know that I really associate my self-worth with my job, but its who I am. I am a civil-engineer. I am a mother. I am both. Well, for 10 more hours I am both...
But really, what am I giving up? I get to stay home with my kids! I get to teach them respect and honesty. I get to teach them fun and laughter, watch them smile everyday - all day. I get to roll my eyes when they throw tantrums and be the police officer when they fight. My life is not my own anymore, and I couldn't be happier. I'm sure my house will get messier faster than I can clean it, but at least I'll know how it got there. I look forward to seeing Eli come home from preschool and be excited about what he did that day and show me the papers he brought home. I want to be involved with his schooling and help out in his class. I guess my point in all of this is that I'm going to be INVOLVED. I can't believe that I was given this opportunity. It is such a blessing. My kids have always been my world, and now I get to act like it. I hope that a year from now I will look back and be just as excited about staying at home as I am today. I really hope this will be an easy transition. I hope that the 1/2 of me that I will lose will be quickly filled up with what I am gaining. That is my hope at least.
Thursday, August 14, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
That was so sweet. I am so happy for you. We are on opposite sides of the spectrum and now I am a little sad. Kids rock! Love ya girl.
oh mary! I'm so excited for you! I know you'll be so blessed for being able to do this and your boys will be even more amazing with the 24/7 influence of having mom around!
My friend beki, a "pro" stay at home mom with 5 kids under the age of 8, says a zoo pass is oh, so worth it! also look into other museums and "learning" places and invest in year family passes and just start making outtings there a monthly tradition...she does this, when she has time!, and loves it. She also says to start yourself on a daily schedule; get into a routine so that you can make the most of the "time" you have...make a list of projects and things you've been meaning to get to and systematically check them off...Like I said, she's amazing and had lots of advice when i told her about you!
I'm so excited for you! and I know you'll come to the point where you'll wonder how you were ever able to do anything BUT be at home with your children.
So since it's Friday night, I'm assuming you're done! You're a free woman! Enjoy your kids and life as a SAHM, I know you're going to have a ball with them :)
Congratulations, honey. I know you'll be an even better mom than you already are. You have the best kids....just like I do.
I agree with "Ticklemedana" when she said make a schedule and get into a routine. Believe it or not, kids like routine.
Love you.
Post a Comment