Friday, June 6, 2008

Prices

Looks like my rambling thoughts are getting the best of me.
I was talking to my neighbor last night about random things, but we got on the topic of money. Our husbands were out helping a family in our ward move. I guess they had a lot of stuff and much of it wasn't the best quality stuff (ie junk) that many of us would throw away. But they have many children and not much money, so they live with what they can afford. I absolutely respect that. But how are many of us supposed to make ends meet right now? It seems like even when you make enough money - its not enough.

I watch CNN or other news shows and see how prices of food and airline tickets and gas are skyrocketing and how retirement funds are dwindling... and people are losing their jobs and losing their homes etc. One in 11 people were behind on their mortgage last month. ONE IN ELEVEN!!!!!! That is huge. I just don't even know what to do with that. I know there are a bunch of people in my area who are losing their home, but what is the answer? Is there one? Have they just been negligent with their money OR have they chosen to buy food instead of pay the mortgage? And you have to buy gas at $4 a gallon because in order to keep your job to pay for either food or the mortgage you have to make money.

I was all excited this morning when I filled up my tank and calculated that I got 36 mpg. I think my little cheap car has found its niche. It likes driving a few miles around town and mostly freeway. But I still spend $250/month for just MY gas. Luckily my company is thinking about moving me up to Kaysville (if they hire a new manager) which would cut my commute by 80%. I was getting all excited about the prospect of having a little extra breathing room in the budget, but with all these other things constantly going up... like milk and bread something tells me that extra $200 isn't going anywhere. That is actually one report that I read. The average American is spending an extra $170/month to maintain their standard of living. So if you were to do the exact same things today as this time last year - you would spend $170 more. That is insanity. Who has an extra $170 in their budget???? And when you've already cut out all the extras, where do you go from there?

And forget vacations. Now that they are charging you for your bags (American and soon to follow United so I've heard) it could be an extra $280 for a family of 4. And when you have a family of 4, you need all the checked baggage because there are car seats and pack n plays and all kinds of stuff that you have to bring. The exact same tickets that I bought for our family back in January cost 27% more which equals about $325 for all 3 tickets. I guess I'm glad that I bought them when I did.

From where I am sitting, there is no answer. I'm just complaining. I'm done now

0 comments: