Do you ever wonder in a given day how many things you do that you could more simply? I always seem to do things the hard way and then keep doing them that way just because thats how I've always done it.
My example is this... bath time.
Since Nathan was born, he has been in a baby tub. We've always had separate bath times for the kids and its worked out just fine. I'd bathe one kid, bring him down to Chris and give the next one a bath. Why I kept doing it this way for so long is beyond me. I understand that at the beginning Nathan needed to be in a baby tub... he couldn't sit up. But for months now I"ve kept it up just the same. So a couple nights ago I put them both in the tub together (mostly because I was exhausted and it was getting late). WOW!! SO much easier!! They play together, splash and have a great time and then they're done. Both done. I can put Nathan in his pajamas while Eli gets dressed in his. No shuffling or dealing with where to put the other kid... I've been doing it the hard way for so long just because its how I've always done it and I've never thought about simplifying my life.
So how else can I apply my new lesson? I've been thinking about chores and cleaning and I haven't thought of any other ones yet... but its probably because I can't see the forest for the trees. oh well. I guess I'll enjoy my extra 10 minutes every evening. :)
As for how we're doing all is well. Chris is painting our kitchen. RED. We nixed the yellow and its going to be a very dark deep red. It has some orangish tints in the swatch, and I'm very curious how it'll turn out on the wall. I'm also very curious to see how on earth I'm going to get my house clean for game night. We're having a game night at our house on Friday and with everything in the kitchen torn up for the paint... well its a tornado in here! I'm sure everyone will understand if its not perfect. (right??) ;) I'll clean next week when Chris' parents come to town.
Then there is Nathan who is sick or teething or something. He screamed for 2 solid hours today. He would stand up in his crib and scream... so tired he would almost fall over. I think he had a stuffy nose and every time he laid down he wouldn't be able to breath. who knows. He seems fine now, but a little warm. ugh. I guess we'll find out tomorrow if he is sick or not. Why does he have to get sick now? He already has an appt in a week and a half for his 1 yr old checkup. It seems like such a waste to have to go to the doctor twice in 2 weeks. you know? I'm sure he is fine. ok, so I'm not sure, but I hope. I hope he is fine.
So thats it for us. And if you have any thoughts on other things you have found that help simplify your life - let me know!! I'm always up for suggestions.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
Hehehe I love it! Remind me to tell you how I did laundry for years! You will absolutly think I am clueless.
Erin's dictionary
Simplify; don't do anything at all.
Just kiding, well, sort of. I did notice that if I did things in bunches it was easier. Like, I had the toilet cleaning supplies out, so I started in one, sprayed on the stuff then moved to the next bthroom, sprayed that on and then went to the third. And by the time I was done with that I went back to the first and scrubbed, then the second then the third. I jsut havne't been motivated enough to do anything else. For instance, I didn't clean the kitchen floor for over a month!! and you know what finally kicked my butt in gear? The ants crawling all over the food that had been dropped on it, that I hadn't cleaned up yet. Gross, I know, but I have a clean floor now!!
Now I want to hear more about Carrie's laundry!
That's funny about the boy's bathtime. I did something similar until just recently...
Ryan showers with Olivia every night. So all I have to worry about is Ashlyn and Carter. Ashlyn loves to take showers now, so I would make Carter take a bath then empty all the water. While I was getting him lotioned and dressed, Ashlyn would take her shower. Then it hit me, "put both of them in the shower together!" DUH! They both think showers are more fun than baths, and I should take advantage of it until they get too old and shouldn't shower anymore :)
As far as simplifying everything else? I got nothing specific. I just try and remember that "less is more", and I've had to be able to let some things go, you know?
just set aside the day you grocery shop as "food prep day". i shop then come home and chop veggies, mix up meals and put everything in gladware in the fridge. then each night all i have to do is warm up dinner! the prep is done and it makes for 10-15 minute weeknight meals. i love it! even simpler? make one big thing on the first night- then morph it into dinner for the next 3! for example: roast chicken with veggies turns into chicken salad tuesday, chicken fajitas wednesday, and pasta with chicken/veggies thursday. i have TONS of recipes like this if you need some ideas...
Post a Comment