So the good news is that I borrowed a friends 'sauce maker' which is the only reason that I am still mobile. I didn't have to core or peel the apples because it did it all for me, and yet I am still growing blisters on my fingers from cutting. Go figure. I did this for 2 days. Now had I been a seasoned veteran, these 35 pints might have taken a day, maybe a day and a half. For a novice such as myself, I'm lucky it didn't leak into day 3.
So after all this, I have compiled a small list for any novices out there who might be just learning themselves. I have also been thinking about a list comparing canning to having a baby... but I'll spare you on that list. LOL!
1. Buy all cans BEFORE starting and have them washed and sanitized - ready to go.
2. The canning water takes a good hour to boil. You might want to start this process before you are actually ready for it
3. Pack the kids a day pack of things to do. You will not be seeing them during the canning process. Playdates would be nice too.
4. Don't wear clothes that you like. You may not see them again either.
5. Keep bandaids close
6. Have a step stool nearby so that you can sit while washing or cutting. If not, wear your comfortable shoes... your VERY comfortable shoes.
7. After a long hard day, don't bother cleaning. Rinse the really bad stuff and leave the rest.
8. Don't invite friends over that night. They might accidentally walk in your kitchen
9. Accept the stickiness. Embrace the stickiness. Everything washes. And when in doubt, you can wash it twice
10. I wouldn't suggest learning to can in the summer. Your kitchen gets really hot and sticky. Although the sticky might be from the apples. Only time will tell.
11. Again, invite someone over who knows what they're doing
12. 8 hours of sleep. No less. 8 hours..
13. Plan something fun when its over for the kids to re-get to know you. For us, it was a "FUN" trip to Costco. (no really, thats where Eli wanted to go)
14. Last of all - don't look at another apple for at least 72 hours.


This is most of it. 2 of my apple pie fillings didn't seal (sob) and I had given away a couple applesauces.

9 comments:
I am so proud of you! Those are all noob things--been there done that myself. Your cans look BEAUTIFUL and appetizing! Yum!
Kudos to ya!
Way to go, lady! What time is your new cooking show on? ha ha! Hope you are well! Love you and miss you!
I laughed heartily at your pitiful sob! Oh...now I REALLY want to learn how to can! where did you get you recipes? oh..I'll just pick your brain in a couple of weeks...=)
Way to go! We are going to have to compare notes on apple filling recipies. I thought I found the perfect one and now am not so sure. I am so proud of you (and myself for that matter.)
Well, I'm impressed. I have a tree full of apples too, and you don't see ME canning any one of them! But just think of all the yummy applesauce you ahve now! It'll be worth it when you start using it
I love this post! I'm going to come back to it next summer when I decide to finally try to can, also. We had a lot of people give us peaches and apples, and I didn't know how to can them! So we ate until our bellies were about to burst, then we froze some of them. But the freezer won't keep them all year!
You are amazing! I'm definitely canning with you next time! (ps...a little bird told me that you are going to lunch with JUB people next week...I was considering tagging along, what do you think?)
Bryttin, DO IT!!! Wednesday at noon at Costa Vida. I heard Chuck and Alan will be there too. Should be a fun time. LOL!
Canning is great and very fulfilling, BUT I hate the mess it makes and I don't like cleaning it up either!! Good job on all your hard work! You'll be so glad you did it!!
Post a Comment