Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Sniff Sniff

Well he is officially done. Nathan quit nursing. He didn't want to eat yesterday and then today I didn't even offer. ::sigh:: This happened too fast! I nursed Eli WAY longer, so I wasn't expecting it to end so soon. We've had quite the journey over the last 7 1/2 months.
Nathan and I started off on shaky ground as he had me bleeding for the first few weeks, but then I remembered how it should be done and he figured it out too. It was great until about 4 months when all of a sudden he wouldn't eat as long. I figured that was normal and he was just more efficient, but he lost weight - so we started supplementing with formula. Well this little guy DEFINITELY enjoys the bottle, so he weaned pretty quickly and we were down to just morning and night. We kept that up for almost 2 1/2 months, but alas... he has decided that there will be no more. I knew it was coming, but kind of hoped it would be a couple more months.
So now I'm sad, but quickly remembering when I quit with Eli... I gained 10 lbs (I know - selfish thinking huh...) ;) Seeing as how I'm already a little more than I would like, I need to watch it. I don't know which I'm more sad about. Not nursing Nathan or the fact that I don't get any more late night snacks... sniff sniff

3 comments:

The Udall's said...

I know I shouldn't feel this way, but WHY CAN'T MY GIRL STOP NURSING???? She's barely older than Nathan and should technically nurse for another 5 months, but I never particularly liked to nurse. It takes less time for me to feed her and I can do it practically anywhere, but I'm tired of it. And I just keep thinking that if I were pregnant, I'd wean her just in time to start up with another one!! She won't take a bottle though..so I really have no hope. That and the fact that food for us not to mention formula for her is just too expensive. breast milk is free!

Meredith said...

I know which one I will miss more! The SNACKS! Ainsley is starting to wean herself. Of course, she is already a year old. Erin, Ainsley didn't take a bottle AT ALL until she was 10 months old and I left her for an entire day with Daddy & a bottle. Now she prefers the bottle and only nurses when she doesn't feel well and a couple of times a day. We also use the Costco brand formula. $20 for 2 cans. Ainsley prefers it over the other ones. And it smells like Enfamil, not Similac. The nutrition info & ingredients are EXACTLY THE SAME as Enfamil. And since Ainsley gets most of her nutrition from real food, I don't worry. With a smaller baby I would probably mix Enfamil/Costco formula if I were trying to save a bit of money. Anyway, back to Mary... :) at least the little guy is eating again and hopefully gaining weight! And you don't look like you need to lose an ounce. So, don't stress!

chrissy said...

Whatever Mary, I just saw you at Ainsley's party and YOU LOOK GREAT!!!

I've always thought that I'd nurse Olivia until she wanted to stop, even up until 18 months, but now that the time's getting close (she's almost a year!) I'm getting really sad. She's cut down to three times a day now, morning noon and night. The last few days she's been too "busy" to want to nurse at noon, so I think pretty soon it'll just be morning and night. I'm just glad we've at least made it through the 'formula' stage, though. Because DANG it's sooo expensive!!!