So we haven't just been doing nothing around here. We've been busy! Especially this last week and a half. Our front yard has been a thorn in my side almost since we moved in. The first owner of the house LOVED yard work and would spend hours every day in his gardens. They were gorgeous but I, on the other hand, HATE yard work. So I've had the idea for a while, and finally took it to Chris - saying it needs to be done, and done now. I wanted to fill in all our garden plots with a more manageable plant... grass!!!!
We thought we'd do the area around the pine tree first. Then maybe this fall when the weather starts cooling off again we'd do the other section. (you can see it to the left with the tulips) We have a fence to replace as well this summer.

So this was our section that we needed to fill in. I wish I had a before picture of it. 10 days ago it DID NOT look like this. It had rose bushes and tons of other plants - all of which I don't the name of. Last weekend we got most of the bushes and things up, but Chris brought home this little Bobcat excavator thing and we were able to really get the ground level. The dirt was also way high - we took 2 full loads to the dump. Then Chris dug some new sprinklers and we finished leveling...

NEW GRASS!!!!!!!

There was just this little patch right at the front with all these rocks. I think there might have been a tree in there when we moved in, but it's been gone for so long I don't really remember. Filled that in too.

Another view. We're going to do a rock border around the tree with large boulders which we don't have yet. All in time.

And we just happened to have a little bit of grass leftover. There was this small rectangle of weeds where we just put the doghouse and some random toys. It was outlined in concrete, but when we realized we still had some rolls of grass left, we went to town on the weeds and concrete. In maybe 30 minutes it was ready to go and we had EXACTLY enough grass to fill it in. I think we had one more little 1'x1' square left. Out of 280 sq feet that's not bad...

Now I have a garden to fix up and plant. The work never ends.
3 comments:
Good Work! I like that you know what you want. Good luck on the garden. Winter just ended there right? Don't be too hard on yourself. I hope you plan on coming to the bar-b-q at the end of the month that Brett is putting together at the folks, I'd like to see you.
Nice!!! You guys have been busy! Looks great. YOu gotta love sod. Instant grass. Love it. Nice job on the 5k and that stinks about Nathan. Poor guy.
Whew, sounds like a lot of work... And it looks great! It'll be nice for the boys to have more grass to run in.
Your garden looks great too... We've been meaning to do ours too, but I'm not sure if it's going to happen this year. Want to come do mine?? :)
Post a Comment