Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Spaghetti Sauce

I did it! I made spaghetti sauce from scratch!!! We did fairly well with our garden this year (who knew neglect reaped success?) anyway we're winding down and I still had a bunch of red tomatoes. I figured I'd pick them and give them away again like I did last time, but my sister suggested we try to make spaghetti sauce. Lasagna was on the menu anyway, so we went for it. I always make my own sauce, but I used canned crushed tomatoes. This time I picked a nice bushel of tomatoes, skinned them, scooped the seeds and cooked it down, added spices, fresh basil, fresh garlic, onion, sausage and wha-la! Freshly made sauce... Cooked the noodles and put it all together for some lasagna and we had dinner. Man, it was not bad... took most of the afternoon, but not bad at all. I'm actually VERY excited to see what it tastes like tomorrow. Everyone knows lasagna is better the next day and I could already tell this one would be no exception. :)

3 comments:

Hubba's Thoughts said...

I love making my own sauce too.. There's something about using fresh tomatoes isn't there.. I think it's totally worth all the hard work!! Sounds good!! I love lasagna!!

Kandice said...

hey i did that yesterday! I was so proud of myself for not wasting my tomatoes, however, unlike you, i did not peel or deseed mine. Still it tasted better than anything canned!

Rae Speedie said...

You have made your grandmother proud.
She is not real sure about your mom canning meat...but spaghetti sauce is good!